Who Represents Me?
Districts By Address - U.S. Representatives*State Senators*State Representatives*SBOE
Please remember to continue to check txpta.org for continual legislative updates. Many education advocacy groups are also sending out information on a regular basis. Most of them have web pages and many of them have facebook pages!
- Texans Advocating for Meaningful Student Assessments (TAMSA)
- Make Education a Priority
- Friends of Texas Public Schools
- Save Texas Schools
This is a great history of Texas public education and well worth your time to read:
A few important facts about Texas:
- Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by treaty. This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the U.S. Flag.
- The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington DC (by 7 feet).
- The San Jacinto Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world and it is taller than the Washington monument.
- The name “Texas” comes from the Hasini Indian word “tejas” meaning friends. Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.
- The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston.
Texas PTA Legislative News and Events
The actions of legislative bodies can have a profound effect on the education and well-being of children, and Texas PTA serves as the voice for Texas children in many legislative endeavors. Texas PTA supports legislation that improves health, well-being and educational opportunities for every child. Successful implementation of our legislative positions is characterized by people working together to assure wise legislative decisions through knowledge of the process and an understanding of the issues.